Sunday, April 26, 2009

Truth Test

The true zen way
in Japan
is not to
tell you shit
You find out
everything
on your own
You are
not coddled
or babied
Why are
you here?
What do you
hope to achieve?
How badly do
you want to
learn?
Of course
no one but you
can answer these
questions

My first night
at a temple
in Tokyo
they threw down
a musty
old mattress
for me to
sleep on
It was full
of dust and
bugs
They were
testing
me

I awoke in
the middle of
the night
choking and
sputtering
I went to
my dorm neighbor
Help me
I can't breath
He had no idea
what I was
trying to
tell him
and probably thought
I was
insane
I went back to
my room thinking
It will be
much easier
just to
die

At breakfast
the next morning
I was hungry
and loaded my
bowls with rice
and vegetables
When I looked up
everyone had
finished
They got up
to leave and
left me sitting
in the dark
with my bowl
and chopsticks
in the air
learning important
lessons
of humility
and restraint

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home